Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Fabric Book Covers






I wanted to make my son's journal more appealing, hoping that he would be more likely to write in it when I came up with this idea. For his I used a pair of jeans he had torn out at the knees, lining it up so I could keep the pockets, which are great to keep pens, pictures, and other momentos.
The general instructions are:
1. measure the outside of the book you want to cover ( I measure with the book closed). Add 1/2" to both the horizontal and vertical measurements.
2. measure the inside flap of the book, add 3/4 " as above, cut 2.
3. Press one side of inside flaps under approx 1/2" and stitch.
4. Line up inside flaps with outside edges (raw edges together) of outside cover. Stitch outside edges on both sides.
5. Trim corners, turn right side out, and press.

For the white cover, I quilted a small sunbonnet sue for a bit of added interest. I also added a piece of ribbon to be used as a page marker. To finish the edge around the binding I cut a rectangle of fabric about 2"x 3", turned under the bottom edge and stitched it, then placed a piece of ribbon on the top edge between the two layers and stitched it along with step 4, above.

2 comments:

SarahAnne said...

I saw your idea for the baby blankets on sugardoodle and followed the link to your blog. You are doing a great job and I love your ideas! Thanks for sharing them!

Susan Brady said...

I also found you on Sugardoodle. This book cover is a great idean much better than the old grocery bag wraps we used in the old days. and can be taken off and placed on the next one as well. I love this and will use is as a VT gift.